Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Gentoo


So I've been meaning to install and use Cacti to monitor my routers and servers and now (actually two weeks ago) seemed like a good time to do it.  I've also wanted to get to know Gentoo Linux for awhile and this seemed like a good time to start.  Two weeks later I finally have a working OS.  To their credit, Gentoo has a great support forum with plenty of knowledgeable folks willing to step in and help out a noob like me.  That is only relevant however, when the noob doesn't screw up and insert a typo in the grub.conf file for the kernel name.  For those of you scoffing, like you've never done this, no...it didn't take me two whole weeks to discover this.  I do on occasion...work (what an ugly word) and the last couple of weeks have taken more time than usual away from my hobby time.  Let's hope that Cacti isn't as difficult.
-PC

No comments: