Sunday, July 13, 2008

Not Dead...



To my faithful 3 readers, I just wanted to update the blog and let you all know that I'm not dead. Life has been incredibly busy, which should have given me more time to write. Alas, twas not so. So let me give you some bullet points on where I'm at and maybe I'll follow up a couple of them with some more in depth posts.

Technical
1. Aborted T-1 installation at our Phoenix office. We will see if this continues
2. Acquisition of a company in So. California and bringing them online and into the family.
3. Backup Exec and Symantec Antivirus installation made legal with appropriate licenses.
4. Test installation of Symantec Endpoint Protection killed our Underwriting supervisor's PC
5. Above referenced Backup Exec installation upgraded and broken. Waiting on new installation on another machine. No backups in 4 weeks. Getting nervous.
6. Gave up on Cacti install on Gentoo machine. It kicked my butt
7. President of the company got a bug in his ear for T-3s. Looking to upgraded 4 T-1s out to our DR site as well as the Internet connection.
8. One of our bastion hosts was compromised and is currently being looked at by a unnamed government agency.
9. Network will have to be redesigned because it doesn't scale well with new office in So. Cal.
10. Our corporate office lost power and when the utility came back on, a fuse blew and the UPS died. I'm yelling at people to make sure that doesn't happen again
Personal
1. Diet is still going well. I am down about 40 pounds and am feeling great. I told my wife that I will shed the beard when I get down to 240 pounds. We will see if that inspires her to help me out.
2. Spent several days with my middle son at Webelos summer camp in Frazier park. My oldest son is serving on staff (lifeguard) at Camp 3 Falls and I got to make his life a living hell of embarrassment making sure he sang for every piece of mail that was addressed to him.
3. Oldest daughter placed second in her category for "roller" figure skating at the Regional competition. This qualifies her to go to Nebraska of all places for the Nationals. My wife will accompany her. I hope she doesn't qualify for the Worlds. They are in Taiwan.
4. My oldest son and I went camping in Yosemite with some friends. Through blood, sweat and a pride of not letting my son get the best of me, I made it to the top of Half Dome. It killed me and the cables rank as the dumbest thing I've ever done, but I can say I did it.

That's it for now. I will try to pop back in and expand a little on these subjects.
-PC

No comments: