Monday, August 27, 2007

BackupExec Sucks!!!


        I currently have two issues with this POC software.  I will in the very near future (as soon as my two page list of open projects are finished) be looking into a new piece of software.  I currently am unable to have more than two weeks of trouble free operation.  Invariably, one or more of the jobs will stall for no apparent reason.  This leads me to have to delete all of my jobs, recreate them and erase all of my backup-to-disk files.  I've gotten to the point where I'm pretty darn fast at doing this job, but good luck trying to cross-train one of my co-workers to pick up the work when I'm on vacation.
        My other issue is when I want to backup a device in my DMZ.  For obvious reasons I don't make any of my machines a member of my production domain on the corporate LAN.  They are therefore not available using browsing through the master browser.  The only problem is BE selects machines through the F'ing browse list.  I can do some wiz bang workaround based on IP, but I lose a lot of the additional functionality like the Notes database agent.
        I would consider Netbackup as I've heard great things about it's functionality, however I'm a little concerned based on my tech support response from Symantec.  If they treat Netbackup customers the same as BE customers, I don't want anything to do with them.

-PC

No comments: